HOW TO STAY SAFE DURING FLOODS IN LAGOS.
It’s raining season in Nigeria, and Lagos is the center of downpour due to its nearness to the sea. Hence,
flash floods, erosion, and thunderstorms will be seen.
Staying safe is important at these times as there have been reported cases of missing persons, accidents
and even death.
So here are some tips on how to stay safe during the flood.
1. Do not swim or drive through flooded areas: this could result in drowning or vehicle damage.
2. Avoid touching electrical equipment. If you're standing in water or you’re wet, avoid touching
electrical equipment because water conducts electricity, which means you could get electrocuted if
3. Do not walk through moving water: If you're not familiar with the area you're walking into, turn
around. The waters are murky and visibility of the ground is almost impossible. You could walk into a
deep gutter, which poses a threat to your health.
4. Avoid eating food in flood-prone areas.
5. Return home when the authorities of the state declare it unsafe to move in some areas.
6. If your home is flooded, turn off electricity as this will prevent accidents like fire, electrical surges, and
7. Clean and disinfect all wet materials: flood waters contain mud that contains sewage chemicals that
are harmful to the human body.
Lastly, call the attention of the authorities on the issue of flash floods around your home or area.